Our History

From humble beginnings, we are emerging into a robust organization

Since the opening of the first school it has been the desire of the Diocese to make these schools accessible to all families who wish to provide a Catholic education for their children. It was to this end that in 1991, the Diocese of Fall River established the St. Mary’s Education Fund using the proceeds from the sale of the St. Mary’s building. The Fund, a separately incorporated entity, provides “need based” scholarships enabling students to attend the Catholic Schools of the Diocese.

In 2015, the St. Mary’s Education Fund changed its name to the Foundation to Advance Catholic Education (FACE).

The Foundation to Advance Catholic Education wants to meet the challenges of serving more culturally and economically diverse populations, while addressing the sustained increase in the demand for financial assistance for families striving to send their children tour schools. This increasing demand is reflected in the more than tripling of applicants for “need based” scholarships in the past 20 years: from 333 in 1998 to over 1100 in 2018.